The Hospitaler Sisters of Mercy is an institute of pontifical right, founded in Rome on May 16, 1821 by princess Teresa Orsini Doria Pamphili.
The spirit of our congregation is clearly express in our constitution: To assist Jesus’ suffering in His members. Besides the regular vows of poverty, chastity and obedience, like the all other religious congregation, we take a special vow of serving in hospitals and other socio-medical activities. We call it the vow of hospitality.
We are all professionally prepared with specialized training in the medical field. Some of our sisters are doctors, some administrators, and in general, nurses or social workers. Our congregation is well focused and easily identified. All our formation and apostolic works are directed to one aim: caring for the sick.
We came to the United States in 1966, invited by Archbishop Celestino J. Damiano of Camden, New Jersey. We staff and administer to nursing homes operated by the diocese of Camden– Our Lady’s multi-care center in Pleasantville, and Bishop McCarthy in Vineland. Villa Raffaella is the first community in the United States to be owned and operated by our order. We are also very active in other countries where we administer our own hospitals, nursing homes, and assisted living residences.
Because our order draws its members from the many countries we serve, each of our houses sounds like a small United Nations, only with much more love. We enjoy the different cultures and gifts which we all bring to the same mission: “pouring the oil of consolation and the wine hope unto suffering humanity.